Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Scrappy Jewelry


See this in the July issue of Scrapbook News + Review!
I've been experimenting with these tile pendants for weeks now but just finally put one into a full necklace. I have quite a few I made out of scrabble tiles and other bits of wood, but have been working with different ways to use chipboard. I haven't found a version I really like yet though. For this particular piece, I used chipboard "chips" from Creekbank Creations. They are really thick and really hard. However, after Mod Podging the paper to the tiles and inking the edges silver, what I did was dip it into Future Floor Finish...about 20 times (drying completely in between each). While this works fantastic on wood tiles, even this super sturdy chipboard puffed up a little bit (especially where i had inserted the bail).

I have another one I did with Glossy Accents I will share as soon as I get it strung. It fixed the moisture issue of making the chipboard expand, but gave a new problem in that you had to add the Glossy Accents to each side separately and the overlap wasn't as clean as I'd like.

Anyways, for this one, I used Molten Madagascar paper from Zsiage and the beads are all gemstone beads from Cousins. The clasp is from Blue Moon.

3 Comments:

D's Paper Studio said...

This is exciting. I love the way you used the paper for the pendant.

Michael said...

There are few useful tips regarding handling of jewellery:

1. Respect the preciousness of your jewellery. Never wear jewellery when doing household works, like cleaning, cooking or gardening. Wear jewellery for proper occasions or celebrations, which are special for you.

2. Avoid any kind of chemical contact with your jewellery. Your nail polish removers, perfumes, hairspray, and other cosmetics can be harmful for diamond jewellery due to presence of chemicals. These chemical can reduce your jewellery shining caused by polishing.

3. When not in use, place your jewellery items in the boxes or cases specially made for them, which are provided by your jewellery manufactures at the time of buying jewellery.

Carla said...

OMG now that is some altering......very time consuming stuff Im sure. It turned out great!