Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Teacher Gift Birdhouse

Well, today was the last day of 1st grade for my son, Michael! He's been ready for his 6-week summer break for about a month now, lol!

I had originally planned on making another frame for Michael's teacher, similar to the one I made for his kindergarten teacher last year (here), but Michael insisted that I do a birdhouse for her instead (I've got him addicted too, lol!). Since his school loops their teachers two years in a row, I can always make her a frame next year.

So I asked him what her favorite color was - of course he didn't know, but he did say she wore red a lot. Sooo, I picked out a couple of coordinating papers from My Mind's Eye's Tres Jolie line that featured a pretty shade of red. The manila paint from Making Memories happened to go nicely, so I used that for my base. I wanted to keep it fairly simple, so the only decoration I used was the Prima flowers, with dimensional paint from PSX for the centers. I just kept looking at those x's and decided some understated bling was in order, so used a clear glitter pen from Sakura for the centers there. Just the right amount of sparkle!

On a funny note...the Beacon's 3-in-1 glue I use has a tendency to occasionally bubble. Usually it's easily noticeable and quick to just pop with a needle tool or my fingernail. However when i attached the birds to this one, apparently I didn't notice a bubble. It wasn't until I went to photograph it zoomed in that I saw the hardened bubble...yup, right under the top bird's rump! It was comical, but I decided my son's poor teacher didn't need to see the birdie doing it's thing, lol! So there's a little excess clear glue under there, but at least it's no longer a big obvious (how did I not see it??) bubble anymore!







3 Comments:

Carla said...

Jenna, that is just so flipping cute!

The Dolphin Inn said...

Wow this is gorgeous, love the colours and the way you decorated the roof, have a great weekend XXX

Irene Tan aka Scrapperlicious said...

OMG! This is absolutely a stunner!! Love it!