Sunday, August 26, 2007

Create Wooden Gift Bag


I found these adorable wooden gift bags at Hobby Lobby and wish I had picked up more because I haven't seen them there since and they're a lot of fun to work with for a small project with tons of storage useage (this one is currently in my studio holding scissors on my workspace). I used Surf & Turf from Zsiage's new line New England (which is one of my all-time favorite collections from Zsiage - seriously yummy and versatile!). It's hard to tell from the picture, but I did not Mod Podge over the top of the paper. Instead I used Ranger's crackle finish over the swirls (looks shiny in the picture). The ribbon is just a piece of stray white I had hanging around. The flower is from Prima. The letters and flower center are Zsiage's chipboard. This stuff is awesome - it has a nice white glossy finish to it. I used Ranger alcohol ink and metallic mixative over them and then the crackle finish again. I'm not sure if it's the glossy finish or the alcohol ink/crackle finish that caused it, but it ended up with a super cracked finish - deep, crumbly cracks. It's a neat look - they look almost like amber! You can see where I somehow managed to forget to pull out a "t" when first doing this so I did the "t" later, resulting in a bad color match when trying to remember how much alcohol ink versus how much metallic mixative to use. So there's my next tip - proofread yourself when doing anything that requires color mixing!