Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Love Nest Altered Mini Birdhouse

As seen in my article in the May issue of Scrapbooking.com Magazine!

Remember the cute little birdhouses I found for $1 at Michael's the other day? I finished one and now I'm so hooked! These are the perfect size for using up scraps you've got sitting around. I had been using Prima's Romantica line for a bunch of Christmas items and decided to use up some scraps for a love themed project as they were meant for and I'm just so excited at how CUTE it came out! These papers are double sided so I ended up using scraps from two different papers (sorry, I can't find the scraps that happen to include the name of the papers themselves though!). I Mod Podged them all to the house (I measured and cut these precisely - this is just too small a piece to mess with trying to sand edges on). For the roof, I cut strips of the polka dotted paper and used a little Martha Stewart (EK) cutter to give them a decorative edge. A couple extra coats of Mod Podge made the overhanging areas nice and sturdy. Then I realized I had the actual matching set of flowers to this line and started tucking them in behind the little fence to create a little garden. Then if that wasn't enough Primas, I started decorating some more with the flowers and some antique gold heart brads. Then I had to run out to Hobby Lobby and find some little birds to live in the house! I was hoping to find lovebirds but the ones in the bridal aisle were just too big so I had to find something in the miniatures section. I've only got a few more houses sitting around but I'm envisioning a little shelf with a birdhouse village all lined up, lol! Guess where I'll be going next weekend! Back to Michael's for more birdhouses! And darn it, why on earth couldn't I have done this project before the Prima DT applications were due, lol! Have you all seen the new DT, by the way? I'm so excited - there are some of my favorite designers on that list and I can't WAIT to see what they do for Prima!!! Congrats, ladies!!!




5 Comments:

Anonymous said...

This is so cute! I love it!

Rhi said...

aww!
i loved them bare. but these are beautiful too!
you are good.

Mimi said...

So cute!

Darleen said...

that is too stinken cute!! love it!! (www.scrapchi38.blogspot.com)

Laurie said...

that's just adorable!!! I haven't even pulled my stuff out of the bag yet :(